A Little Transfer Nonsense

Monday, December 22, 2008 | View Comments
MFUSA is your one stop holiday shop; no holiday hiatus (or readers for that matter, but I digress) for me.

There's not much going on in the world of American soccer, unless you're interested in Freddie Ljundberg's unfortunately timed surgery,
or Chad Marshall's apparent re-signing with Columbus (which IS actually a big deal and I'm actually for his staying believe it or not. I know, I know, I'm a hypocrite).

That being said:

With the winter transfer window opening in a little more than a week, I've decided to take an impromptu look at a few of our American boys, with a focus on their club form and any potential moves on their respective horizons.
This is a completely arbitrary list, comprised of those with transfer rumors attached to their names, with moves all but done, or whom are just flying high at the moment.
Video included for those that are Euro-based and whom you might not have seen in action recently:

1. Oguchi Onweyu
Gooch is still plugging along at Standard Liege, a club that seems to very much appreciate their American center back. Gooch and Standard are still alive in the UEFA Cup, something which may be holding up a potential move to one of several rumored Ligue 1 sides. Various information out of Europe have Gooch moving on to PSG, Borussia Moenchengladbach, or Olympique Marseille, with the consensus being that Marseille are top bidders. I think most of us are agreed that it's time for Onweyu to take the next step; as nice as Belgium might be, Oguchi needs to be tested in a league with a higher overall level of class.

Here's Gooch scoring one of his Big Man headers versus Sampdoria in the UEFA Cup:



2. Charlie Davies
The transfer rumors for Charlie seem to have petered out in the last couple of days, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not moving in January. Charlie's form for Hammarby since signing in 2006 has been fantastic, and French Ligue 1 Sochaux has been linked to Davies. Charlie gets less attention than Jozy Altidore, largely due to his age and league, so a move to a more visible competition could only help.

Charlie, scoring, in a nice compilation:



3. Landon Donovan
By now, everyone is up on the Donovan to Bayern Munich loan situation. I've only listed him here because it's Landon's last shot in Europe. If you're an American and a supporter of the US national team, and you're rooting for Donovan to fail, I have nothing to say to you. You're a hater, a bad one, and I don't like you. Happy Holidays!

4. Kenny Cooper
Kenny's overseas possibilities took this hit recently. Even with the window yet to open, FC Dallas may be putting their foot down. In light of Kenny's '07 injury, I see no harm in him sticking it out in Big D until at least the summer. Eintracht Frankfurt has been mentioned as a possible destination.

5. Sacha Kljestan
Sacha is one of my favorite young American players, and I'm truly rooting for a January move. Celtic and Dutch side FC Twente have been mentioned, and I'm hoping he ends up in Holland. Sacha might end up being the playmaker that Freddy hasn't yet turned out to be; the Eredivisie seems the best place for him to improve.


No video on the MLSers for obvious reasons, with it being the off-season. Any video I could post is something you've probably seen twenty times.

Next up on my agenda is a rambling, angry, ridiculous rant on Eurosnobs and the harm they do to American soccer, as well a couple of shots at American soccer's Chicken Little.

EDITED TO ADD: While researching some things for this post, I came across the title of this article. I'm hoping it's just a coincidence.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Legal


    Privacy Policy