Landon Donovan

Happy New Year wishes everyone. The new year is only a few hours old, but I couldn't help myself. It's already time for the first post of 2010.


Apparently, everyone loves a list. I think I probably more "tolerate" lists than
"love" them (love is a strong word reserved to describe my feelings about bourbon, soccer in HD, and dreams of quitting my day job), but nonetheless I understand the appeal.


The end of the year, which happens to coincide with what most people view as the end of the decade, results in a veritable explosion of lists. Both "of the year" and "of the decade" are covered ad nauseum. In fact, there are so many lists and so many people creating them that there are few subjects left really worth covering. Anything I can think of doing has already been done, and I'm really not the type who enjoys treading covered ground. Originality is fun.


But, since people love lists so much, and the blogger's code requires the posting of a list at the end of every year/decade/century/millennium, I had to come up with something. It might stretch the definition of "original" just a bit, but oh well.


I give you MFUSA's "Top 10 Lists Covering the Year or Decade", in no particular order.


1. Top 10 CONCACAF Clubs of the Decade


From Duane over at the 24th Minute is a rundown of the top 10 clubs from our little backwater (that would be CONCACAF) of the football world. I find little fault with Duane's list; predictably and rightly, a Mexican club is number one, with a few other FMF side plus MLS and a Costa Rican (take a guess which one) team rounding out the top ten.


2. 2009: The Soccer Year in Review


Andrea Canales runs down the biggest soccer stories of 2010, with a slight and understandable lean to US subjects. I'm a big fan of No. 9.


3. Stories of the Year


Michael Lewis of Big Apple Soccer does the same as Canales, only with all American subjects. Lewis' biggest stories includes a nod to the National Soccer Hall of Fame and its troubles, one of the most glossed over and under-covered happenings of 2009.


4. A Personal Look Back at 2009's Top XI Soccer Memories


Peter Wilt, former Chicago Fire and Chicago Red Stars president and current head man of MISL side Milwaukee Wave, joined Pitch Invasion this year, and somehow did the impossible; he made it better when it was already great. In this contribution, he recaps his personal top soccer memories of the year, covering his own team and hiring, WPS, MLS, and Fulham's push for European football.


5. USMNT Top 10 Goals of the Year


New MFUSA contributor Matt over at his own blog, US Soccer Daily, runs down the top 10 USMNT goals of the year, with helpful YouTube clips to each. Number one is a no brainer, and I'm glad Matt got it right, or he may not have been welcome around here anymore. Kidding. Maybe.


6. Top Moments of 2009


I like this list, and am glad I went looking long enough to find it. It's got a little bit of everything, including acknowledgement of some youth championships won in 2009, and a certain handball that rocked the world.


7. The Decade American Soccer Arrived


Association Football (add to your reader or blog rotation, now) gives us four major items of note for the decade past, all of which point to continued progress for American soccer. Item number one is the of particular interest for me, and is a nice rundown of strides the US has made on the international stage, while keeping it all in context.


8. The 2000s: 11 Best American Players of the Decade


Moving on to team- and player-based lists, here's Goal.com's top American players of the decade. This list is based on form, pointing out those players that shone in a particular period. Two keepers, Donovan, O'Brien, McBride, and even Michael Bradley make the cut. Perhaps a little surprising is the year picked out for Clint Dempsey, one before his move to England and further evolution as a player.


9. USMNT '00-'09: TSG's Squad For All The Marbles


The Shin Guardian takes a different approach to their team of the decade, choosing to put together a dream squad while paying attention to things like positions and tactics, using a 4-3-2-1 formation. No Reyna, Hejduk over Sannaeh at right back, and a Howard over Friedel makes TSG's team one worthy of discussion.


10. A List of My Own


The final list here is list within a list of lists. I couldn't help myself; I have to run down my biggest stories of 2009 for you, even as I avoid the painful expounding that usually accompanies them. Remember, these are the biggest stories, not the best ones.

    10. Altidore Loaned to Hull
    9. Real Salt Lake Wins MLS Cup
    8. Red Bull Arena Takes Shape
    7. LA Galaxy Turnaround
    6. Mexico Thumps US in Gold Cup Final
    5. Oguchi Onyewu Signs With AC Milan
    4. US Draw England in World Cup 2010
    3. Success in Seattle
    2. Charlie Davies Injured in Fatal Crash
    1. US Finishes Shocks Spain, Finishes Second at Confed Cup


If I missed something, it's because it's New Year's and I'm spent. I had hoped to get this up earlier, when it was still 2009, but oh well. Consider it the last post in which I actively look back. It's all about 2010 now, and while there are certainly hurdles, I expect it to be a banner year for American soccer.

Cheers.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy