Football - Everton v Sporting Lisbon UEFA Europa League Second Round First Leg

Until it's proven impossible, I'm usually the type to believe in the best case scenario, meaning that I refuse to acknowledge something won't happen until a preponderance of evidence exists making it undeniably clear that it really won't.


That doesn't mean that I don't intellectual assess possible outcomes and have a different opinion of what will likely happen, it just means that I don't close the door, no matter how small the opening might be, on my preferred result.


I suppose in some ways, I'm a hopeless optimist.


And so it was with Landon Donovan and his loan deal to Everton. I didn't know that Donovan would succeed with the Toffees, because no one did for sure, but I certainly had a strong belief that he wouldn't fall flat. Far from falling flat, he has now contributed enough to Everton to be the subject of much speculation over his immediate future. Will MLS extend his loan? Can Everton afford to buy him permanently?


As little as a few days ago, after Donovan helped Everton beat league-leaders Chelsea by putting in a Man of the Match-quality performance, I still believed it possible he would remain in England till the end of the season. Even after David Moyes states publicly that he sees no way for Everton to keep Landon, I still thought he would stay. I discounted Moyes' words, just as I did with Bruce Arena's company line, chalking up the statement to keeping expectations low just in case a deal couldn't be worked out, or to a negotiating stance on the part of a savvy manager.


I don't think I could even identify for you what has changed, but I'm not convinced that Donovan will in fact return to MLS next month, and play with the Galaxy until the World Cup. Maybe it's the words of people who know things, or deferring to the path of least resistance; either way, I'm no longer optimistic that Donovan will stay with Everton. He's on his way back, just as was originally planned, and it doesn't matter how well he's played since landing in Merseyside.


There's just too much that needs to happen for Donovan to stay, and I can't convince myself that just because he's become indispensable for Everton (which he clearly has) that MLS will allow for a loan extension. It's still possible, just as is almost anything with the less-than-predictable suits in New York, but without a strong financial incentive for the league, I don't see them letting him play in England while the MLS season is happening.


Donovan has done much to exorcise some European demons this winter. I suspect that he'll return at some point in the future. I just don't think he'll be staying past March this time around. It's a disappointing realization to come to.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy