For Me, MLS Trumps El Clasico

Sunday, April 11, 2010 | View Comments
REAL MADRID VS FC BARCELONA

As a blogger on American soccer topics, appreciator of the game in its many forms, and general fan of the sport from the top leagues of Europe down to the lower divisions of the US and Canada, I take different things from different games.


But for me, it's not as easy as simply deferring to a game the represents the best the world's passion has to offer; even as I recognize that matches in Europe or Mexico are played at a higher standard than anything in the United States, find myself more attracted to what's American over what's great.


Yesterday, an MLS match in California featuring two teams who we can't yet say are good, bad, or average, kicked off at 4 PM ET. The game went on in direct conflict with the world's most celebrated derby, El Clasico, the showdown between the two top teams in Spain. For most soccer fans in America, Chivas USA v. New York Red Bulls simply can't compete with Real Madrid v. Barecelona.


Real Madrid and Barcelona are clear challengers for the "biggest club in the world" title, and have payrolls that would cover the MLS salary budget for the entire league for multiple seasons. Barcelona, regardless of their opponent in a given week, is in "must watch" territory with their magnificently beautiful brand of soccer. Lionel Messi's transcendence from "great player" to "one of the best ever" has literally taken place over the last year. With every goal, none of which are ever cheap or lucky, Messi's greatness is reinforced; it has become the soccer fan's obsession to watch him play whenever possible. Adding Barcelona's own status as a historically great team, and you have a perfect storm of attention grabbing factors.


This means I'm the exceptional outlier, save for those that are passionate fans of Chivas USA or New York, when I forsake El Clasico for MLS. Of course I recognize the superiority of the Spanish game, and I'm not daft enough not to want to see greatness when it's on display; but I have zero emotional investment in Real Madrid v. Barcelona, while I have a distinct and profound connection to my own domestic league. Of course, this being the modern age, I was able to keep an eye on both matches, so it's almost disingenuous to claim that I would choose Chivas USA-New York over Real Madrid-Barcelona, since I didn't have to.

New York Red Bulls v Chivas USA

But I think I would choose MLS over El Clasico if I could only watch one. Some of that can be chalked up to a sense of responsibility I feel because of what I do here and on the American Soccer Show, but part of it is a natural preference for Major League Soccer over action from abroad. MLS is my league, and everything that happens in it is of interest to me. I want to see how good New York really is under Hans Backe (still not sure) who is going to step up and score for Chivas (Bouna Coundoul, apparently), and whether each team is an actually threat for the MLS Cup title.


Messi is amazing. The Spanish clash is full of drama, intrigue, and passion, and features some of the greatest players in the world. But none of it is mine.


I can watch the replay of El Clasico, and I can see highlights of the game at the touch of a button. If I didn't watch it live, all I would have missed out on would be the surprise of a goal being scored, a appreciation of the back-and-forth of the match, and the final outcome. For some people, that might be a problem. For me, it's a fine way to appreciate the game.


Knowing that I would be, I'm wasn't surprised to be called "crazy" when I expressed my "MLS over El Clasico" opinion on Twitter. I understand the sentiment, and I have no issues with anyone who chose Real Madrid-Barcelona over MLS, especially if they had no rooting interest in the domestic match. But I reject the notion that I'm less of a soccer fan, or that my ability to appreciate of the sport is suspect simply because I value an American product over a Spanish one (even if it is the best Spanish one).


If you want to beat me up for this, go ahead. Remember that I actually did watch both games, thanks to the magic of the Internet, and that I'm not exhorting people to be like me. I'm fine with being the only one.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy