SEATTLE - NOVEMBER 22:  Robbie Findley #10 of Real Salt Lake celebrates his goal in the second half with teammate Yura Movsisyan #14 during the MLS Cup final at Qwest Field on November 22, 2009 in Seattle, Washington.  (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

Oh, Yura. You had me going there. I wrote that US National Team fans should keep an eye on your progress over in Denmark, and that you looked to be on a path towards playing for America. We heard your citizenship was in-process and that it shouldn't be too long before you were eligible. We have a dearth of striker options, and your development was encouraging on that front. More than anything, I thought you were quality and held out a very real, and I thought informed, hope that you would play for your adopted county.


I guess we're done now, with the news that you've decided to play for Armenia. It's not that I blame you, as it is the country of your heritage, but to give lip service to the US only to switch now, and abruptly at that, is just painful.


Maybe your efforts to get citizenship were lagging, and you felt the clock ticking on an opportunity to get your chance at international soccer. But you're only 23, so unless the naturalization process was years from being completed, your move seems premature. To me, anyway, an admitted fan of your abilities and an American.


I don't know whether to credit you for joining Armenia despite their miniscule chances at getting to a World Cup or criticize you for apparently passing on the chance to represent the United States in 2014. I suppose it's possible for you to make a switch at some point (friendlies don't count, right?), but your decision puts a hole in your statements that you wanted to play for the US. It's not a stab in the back, necessarily, but I have to admit it hurts.


Dammit, Yura.


blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy