Qualifying Over, Focus Back To MLS

Thursday, October 15, 2009 | View Comments
Seattle Sounders FC v Los Angeles Galaxy

For me, I mean. I have no idea if you are in the same boat as me; perhaps you've been able to split your attention. Club and country, all at the same time.

I'll admit that I've had some tunnel vision recently. I've been locked in on the US National Team, so much so that Major League Soccer seems like just a wispy dream. I knew it was there, and I as vaguely aware that I was interested, but I found myself unable to give it the attention it actually deserved while there was still a question surrounding the US World Cup spot.

With the conclusion of the Hexagonal last night, I shouldn't have anymore problems giving the domestic club competition some love. The playoffs are coming, teams are still jockeying, and I'm pretty sure I've missed some interesting and highly competitive games. It's about time I rectified that situation, now that there are no more USMNT distractions.

Case in point, and how I know it's about damned time I switch off blinders: Greg Seltzer on No Short Corners today noted that six of the first seven matches in this MLS week (round, whatever) have playoff implications; it started last night with RSL keeping their hopes alive by beating Red Bull at Rio Tinto, and continues through the Colorado-FC Dallas on Saturday night. Of the two non-crucial matches, one is a top-of-the-West clash between the Galaxy and Dynamo; who knows how that game will play out with both sides already qualified, but it could be a real cracker.

Without meaningful international football that I truly care about until the World Cup next year (yes, I care about the friendlies, but only in that how-did-we-look kind of way), MLS is the only American game in town. I'm hoping for a rousing post-season with last-minute wins, dodgy penalties, golazos, full-throttle play, unlikely heroes, full stadiums, and manager meltdowns. You know, all of those things that make soccer worth watching when the pressure is at it's most intense.

A few things I really do hope to see this weekend:

  • Seattle beat Kansas City to secure their playoff spot

    I'm not a fan of the Sounders, but I want to see them in the playoffs. MLS needs playoff soccer in Quest.

  • New England lose

    I now that sounds harsh, but I really don't want to see those American football lines anymore.

  • United play hard but come up short against Columbus

    Again, it's harsh, but United needs a house-cleaning desperately, and I fear that making the playoffs would gloss over the problems and keep Will Chang/Kevin Payne from pulling the trigger that puts Tom Soehn out of his misery.

  • Goals

    Since I'm returning my attention to the league, I expect that I'll be watching more than a few games this weekend; it would be nice if those games had some goals to keep me entertained.

  • People

    Without the National Team to compete with, and with the playoff races at a full gallup, maybe we'll see a decent crowd or two around the league. Let me check that schedule again...okay, nevermind.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy