Real Salt Lake v Chivas USA

Guest Post by Matt - US Soccer Daily

After the France-Ireland game on Wednesday, I knew exactly what I wanted to write about. The swirling amalgam of anger, frustration, and disappointment made me eager to get my feelings down on paper, but also impeded my ability to actually express many coherent thoughts. With time, my emotions have simmered, though I still feel strongly opinionated about what transpired. Over the past couple days, though, this topic has been talked about so much that I feel like I’d be beating a dead horse to post on it now. Instead, I think it’s the right time to start looking forward to MLS Cup, our domestic league’s biggest spectacle, and what it means in terms of the USMNT.


I’ll probably take a stroll down memory lane on Sunday, back to 2002. I’ll see the fields of Korea and Clint Mathis, streaking down the field with a flashy Mohawk to match his fiery swagger. I’ll see Bruce Arena pumping his fists after Brian McBride’s diving header pushed his team’s unlikely lead over Portugal to 3 goals. I’ll see Eddie Lewis and Gregg Berhalter celebrating after beating Mexico in the Round of 16. I’ll see Cobi Jones taking a vicious challenge from Rafael Marquez. And I’ll see Landon Donovan, in a daze, being helped off the field after the heartbreaking loss to Germany. So much of the USMNT’s past will be on the field and on the sidelines at Qwest Field that fans like me can’t help but feel nostalgic.


I’ll also get to see the current face of American soccer on the league’s biggest stage. Landon Donovan has answered his numerous critics by putting in arguably his best year as a professional. It’s almost a shame that Landon won’t have any games for a little while after MLS Cup; it just might be the only thing that can put a halt to his incredible run of form that has spanned several months. This past week’s games only confirmed what every USMNT fan already knew: Landon is the engine that drives the team. Captain or not, Donovan has emerged as the leader on the field, and the USMNT will only go as far as he takes them in the World Cup.


I might just be getting a glimpse into the future too, with guys like Robbie Findley and Omar Gonzalez squaring off. The incredible consistency and poise that Gonzalez has shown (particularly for a rookie) has helped turn a previously woeful Galaxy defense into one of the league’s best. Findley’s raw speed and nose for goal have seen his stock rise considerably as well, particularly with Bob Bradley in desperate need of someone to help fill the void left by Charlie Davies’ unfortunate injuries. While Findley’s opportunity will likely come well before Gonzalez’s, I can’t help but think that both of these guys could very well be making the trip down to Brazil four and a half years from now.


An MLS Cup between Real Salt Lake and the LA Galaxy might not have been everyone’s dream matchup, but it will definitely be a unique opportunity for fans to see several eras of the USMNT connected by one common venue. Who knows, maybe Clint Mathis will turn back the clock and show us one more flash of brilliance. Or maybe Robbie Findley will turn in a scintillating performance and make us eager for the annual January friendly to roll around. Or maybe, and this one is most likely, Landon Donovan will leave his mark on the game and remind us all once more that he is the best player in the United States. Regardless of the result, I’m going to enjoy this game, and I hope all of you do too.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy