Day two of the media watch, with thirty-four hours to go and there is a modicum of improvement. And when I say "modicum", I mean "as small an amount as is physically possible".

The broadcast promo is obviously still running on ESPN, but I haven't noticed an increase in frequency. ESPN.com's includes a small banner on the bottom half of their main page advertising said broadcast, which links the the U.S. soccer page. Small victories, I guess.

SI.com has no eye-catching images for the game, but does have a link to a story in "The Scorecard" section which outlines the rivalry and the veterans who have experience in the battle.

FoxSports.com has nothing. NOTHING.

CBSSports.com has nothing, but does have a story on the Beanpot-winning Boston University hockey team in their "Headlines" section. I mention this not only because I had a brief stint at BU, but also because it indicates how low on the awareness meter soccer registers. I don't mind hocky generally speaking, and I obviously have a connection to BU that makes me more likely than the average guy to read the story, but I can't believe that a niche sport like college hockey has more mass appeal than the biggest soccer match (to date) on the National Team calendar.

I'm not encouraged by this. In fact, if I wasn't so incensed about it, I'd probably be depressed. Still, none of this changes that the game is going to happen, that it's going to be on ESPN2HD, and that I'm going to watch it.

As a direct result of the media watch and it's results, I've decide to write an open letter to the web editors of America's major news outlets. Stay tuned.

Also, if you'd like to read another perspective on the lack of hype, check out my buddy Brian's lamet at House of Soccer.
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy