Evening Not-So-Briefs

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 | View Comments
More USA-Mexico Rivalry

I'm going through my usual evening routine of reading every single news story related to American soccer that exists on the internet, and a story catches my eye. Noah Davis of Goal.com (no relation) has written a little opinion piece on USA-Mexico. His contention is that the rivalry is the best in international soccer. Those of you that have been coming around here for awhile know that I posted my own USA-Mexico rivalry piece (MFUSA link, tribalfootball.com link), in which I claimed it was the best rivalry in North American sports. While Noah and I have taken different approaches, I think it's interesting to see his take. Even more interesting is the lambasting he's getting in the comments section there; I was tempted to post my own thoughts, but I'm afraid I'd be rendered dumb by associating myself with those people. While the pure volume doesn't match, and the idiocy seems to exist on a much lower level, I myself was given the old what-for by a few who commented at tribalfootball.com. I'm interested in the responses from a sociological standpoint, as each one is a little bit of what makes up the American soccer scene. There's a good smattering of American fans who want to make themselves seem "soccer-savvy" by downplaying the rivalry, plenty of Mexico fans badmouthing the Americans, and the usual Euro Snob or hater group dismissing North American football all together.

BSkyB retains Premiership rights

This isn't directly American soccer news, except in the context of ESPN's potential pursuit of EPL rights. If ESPN is serious about soccer, we'll find out just how serious they are within the next few months. Since I've written on the subject, I've learned that ESPN owning any English television rights for the Premier League doesn't necessarily mean anything for the American market; they are separate rights packages. The international (which I'm assuming includes the U.S.) rights don't come up for bidding until 2010. ESPN may be biding their time, throwing their name into the hat for the English rights simply as way to connect themselves with the sport in a serious manner. I'm already starting to notice a few little things that point towards an ESPN investment of some type in the game; acknowledgment of big matches, a few scores here and there, and even a great goal or two making Top 10 plays. Perhaps even more telling than any European football they may highlight is the nods to soccer on this side of the pond; I'm fairly certain I saw a Mexican league goal in the Top 10 plays on Sportscenter a week or two ago (my son distracted me, so I was unable to really pay attention). Definitely stay tuned for more developments on this front.

Interview with Steven Wells


EPLtalk.com has a interview with Steven Wells, an English soccer writer and observer of the sport in American. While I'm no fan of their MLS version (which may have some of the worst writing ever, and as such is partly responsible for the existence of this blog), EPLtalk does an excellent job with this interview. Though I've never thought about it in absolutes mentioned, the assigning of political viewpoints to attitudes towards soccer in America in the first question are probably fairly accurate (feel free to yell at me if you disagree). Wells is, for the most part, a man after my own heart; he seems to see through most of the crap that American sports fans throw up in the face of the soccer revolution. It's a good read, and I may have to appropriate some of his thoughts to expound upon in this space at a later date.

Sounders name Super Search winner

Seattle named Vini Oliveira the winner of their Super Search contest (a fan's take here). This is a little old, but I wanted to include it because I'm mulling over an opinion on the "reality show player search" concept, and what it means for MLS that such shows are seen as a good idea. Although Chivas USA hit the jackpot with Sueno MLS winner Jorge Flores, I'm not sure finding players through a televised competition is the way to go for MLS teams. Open tryouts are a must in the soccer environment as it exists today, but shows like Sueno MLS and Super Search seem to minimize the importance of the league. While admittedly not a fair comparison, I doubt we'll be seeing any other major American professional sports team find a player this way. If the Super Search winner turns out to be a contributor, then more power to him and the Sounders. But it will surely shine a light on the dire development situation as it currently exists in the U.S.

Rambled a bit in that last one, sorry about that. I probably won't have anything else tonight, but I'm guessing I'll have something for you guys tomorrow.
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy