USA-Mexico: The Aftermath

Thursday, February 12, 2009 | View Comments
I'm spent. Between live blogging, watching my son, watching the game, and having way too much adrenaline flowing to fall asleep at a proper time, my body wants to kick my ass. Still, the show must go on, and here I am with a few day-after thoughts.

1. Apparently, Frankie pissed some people off last night. I am sure this will be EVERYWHERE today, but just in case you haven't come across it yet, here is a link to a video of Hejduk getting slapped by a Mexican assistant in the tunnel after the game.

While we're talking about Frankie, I think it's clear that Bob's decision to start the vet in place of the injured Cherundolo was the right move. Hejduk never looks over matched, consistently made the right decision with the ball, looked dangerous up the wing on occasion, and had some crucial open-field tackles.

2. I'm still angry with ESPN this morning. It just doesn't appear as though they want to give American soccer a fair shake. Other than the once-an-hour commercial that ran for about a week before the game, there was absolutely no push. They also continue to insist on breaking into the action to go to those ridiculous "Sportscenter In Game" updates, relegating the game itself to a small inset box. God forbid something that matters happens while the idiot in Bristol tells us for the 6,000th time that A-Rod admitted to steroid use. The one good thing I'll say about ESPN is that they appear to have at least one anchor that gets it. I was able to catch the highlights on the late night Sportscenter, and Scott Van Pelt did a reasonably good job with them.

3. I was happy to see Jozy get his feet wet in a Mexico game. He didn't have time to do much, but you could tell that given the chance, he's up for a big spot like that. Now, Marquez was out of the game at that point, so it's hard to tell how he would have looked against Mexico's best.

4. I don't think I'll ever be completely comfortable with our central defense. That's probably just a function of being a fan rather than an indictment of Onweyu and Bocanegra, although the decisions they make don't help sometimes.

I'll probably be back later, either with more fallout from USA-Mexico, or with some other thoughts that have bouncing around my head.
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy