Friday Morning Briefs

Friday, February 13, 2009 | View Comments
I'm a little booked up today, so a couple of quick hitters:

TV Ratings a Small Victory

Nielsen released the ratings for USA-Mexico on ESPN2 (0.8 rating, 1.2 million total viewers), and despite little effort from ESPN, they were pretty darn good (qualifier: for soccer). The Wednesday broadcast was the most ever watched WCQ on ESPN, a history that includes 26 matches. Univision and ESPN Deportes cleaned up, of course, with Univision setting a new record for viewership. While I'm encouraged by the numbers, I want to be sure I view them in the right context; I may try to break them down a bit when I have a little more time. On the face of it, it looks like soccer is gaining more and more traction as time goes along. The ratings also indicate one or both of two things: one, Hispanic viewers watching the English-language broadcast helped ESPN2's ratings, and two, the Euro Snob factor continues to rear it's ugly head. These ratings (and FSC's EPL ratings) only serve to reinforce the stark fact that American soccer fans just don't want to watch MLS.

Beckham Deadline Day

Today is Don Garber's unofficial deadline day for the Galaxy-to-Milan Beckham transfer. I haven't seen anything that would indicate a deal is done, although the Mail Online is reporting that the Italian club's bid is 8 million pounds ($11.5 million). That number would fit nicely with my earlier prediction, but would certainly be a disappointing result for those of us who believe Milan should be made to pay a premium for Goldenballs. I may be incommunicado when the actual transfer deal comes down (provided the deadline isn't a bluff), but I'm sure I'll have plenty to say as soon as I can get myself back to the keyboard.

DC United Give Up on the District

This is big news (for soccer fans anyway) in my neck of the woods, so I would be remiss if I didn't mention it. Steven Goff and others are reporting that DC United is now actively working with Prince George's County to make a stadium in the county a reality. As the Poplar Point project continues to fall apart, there was really no choice for United. As a Virginia guy myself, I would have loved for a stadium to go up on my side of the Potomac; selfishness aside however, it's good to see one of Major League Soccer's most visible franchises move forward on giving their fantastic fans an actual home. As vibrant and raucous as La Barra Brava, the Screaming Eagles, and La Norte make RFK, they just can't fill it up and give United the atmosphere they deserve. I'll be following this one closely. While my soccer passion has only grown up in the last few years, when it has been difficult for me to make it to RFK, I am anxious to see the team play in person. Although PG County would be a longer trip for me, and for other Virginia-based United fans, I'm sure the trade off of a soccer-specific stadium filled to the brim with rabid supporters more than makes up for a couple of extra miles.
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy