Mid-Week Soccer Madness

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 | View Comments

It's Wednesday, and while I normally despise Wednesday, at least I have something to look forward to tonight. There's soccer flying all over the place, and it's got me a little giddy.

It actually starts during the workday, when Chelsea and Barcelona finish their UEFA Champions League semi-final across the pond. I'll be doing my best to slyly watch/listen to that match (I'm trying to train my brain to filter out Tommy Smyth), and I'm praying for something that will help my get through the tail end of what's sure to be another hellish workday.

It's not until this evening that the good stuff, and the stuff that I can give my full attention too, happens, and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to having something to watch in the middle of a dreary week.

Watching more than one game at a time is a supremely difficult task, but one I wholeheartedly enjoy taking on. Tonight is one of those nights that makes me glad I live in the digital age. A brief break down of tonight's action and my plan of attack:

Wizards v. United

This one gets the star treatment, the number one spot on the HDTV. Not only because it's the game I have the most interest in (top of the East on the line and all that), but because it's the only one of tonight's matches that is available to me on television. I haven't checked yet, but I'm hoping this one will be in HD. Since I've writing about the game, I might as well make a pick; I'll be interested to see how Tom Soehn and Curt Onalfo juggle their lineups as each club has a quick turnaround to a Saturday match.

Wizards 1 DC United 2

Real Salt Lake v. LA Galaxy

I may just check in on this match occasionally; I'm not sure it's going to warrant more of my attention than an occasional peek. Besides, my laptop is only so big, and I'd rather not have to switch back and forth. Galaxy got their first win on Saturday, but they still mostly stink in my estimation. RSL is coming of a huge league win and a poor USCO qualifying loss, though we all know the Cup result means naught. Conventional wisdom would have RSL winning at home, but I have a weird feeling that this one is going to go all nutso on us. Just for the hell of it:

RSL 3 LA Galaxy 3

Toronto FC v. Vancouver Whitecaps

It's not league match, it's not American, and it's part of a domestic cup competition that includes only three teams; yet, for some reason, this match might intrigue me more than either of the others. Although I expect it would be hotly contested anyway, the Voyageur's Cup has now taken on a new level of intensity because the winner now gets a CONCACAF Champions League spot. While Vancouver may not have their strongest side in recent times due to building towards 2011, this should still be a cracking match with the usual BMO Field atmosphere. I have absolutely no idea where, but I'm assuming I'll be able to find a internet feed of the game somewhere.

I've only seen Vancouver play once this year, but I'll go ahead and hazard a guess at the result anyway.

TFC 2 Vancouver 1

So there you have it. A fantastic Wednesday night on tap at MFUSA House, the promise of which I hope will get me through the work day.

Which game are you most looking forward to? Predictions are always encouraged, especially by biased Whitecaps fans, since riled-up TFC fans are always entertaining.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy