A Pro/Rel Idea for MLS

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 | View Comments

Yes, we're talking promotion/relegation today. And yes, I realize that it's unlikely to ever happen, that MLS owners would never agree to it, and that the American franchise model makes it a difficult system to implement.

I also know that it's at the top of the wish list for many American soccer fans. The romance of it intrigues us, and I think the added pressure of possible relegation would push owners to make a proper effort to field a strong team (FC Dallas comes to mind), lest they go down.

While the current league situation makes pro/rel almost impossible, recent news leads some to believe that we could see a very different environment in the near future, one that would allow for a workable system.

Learn all about it after the jump.

Those events that may make pro/rel feasible? The demise of USL-1. Rumors are swirling (I'm not speaking to the validity of the rumor, I'm just mentioning it because they are out there, and it's necessary for the proposed system to work) that the league could be kaput if Montreal bolts for MLS (a possibility that is also being rumored). While the league may go away, there's no reason that the clubs have to: if MLS is able to get their hands on the operating rights, and FIFA comes through with second division certification, we might see MLS2 before long.

I realize that all of that is conjecture, but it is certainly within reason. With MLS and MLS2 representing the top two levels, promotion/relegation might be closer than we ever previously thought possible.

Trust me, I wouldn't bring up pro/rel, and beat the dead horse, if I didn't have something unique to share. This isn't your typical moaning about how the system would add something unique to professional sports in America (although I've made that statement before). Instead, I'm going to point you in the direction of Adam Soucie, the man behind the plan-

Common Sense: Making Promotion and Relegation Work

In Adam's system, the owners are protected to an extent, which continues to be the biggest reason most observers believe pro/rel can never happen here. Adam makes allowances for playoffs (which makes sense), discusses stadium issues (MLS2 clubs cannot move up without a proper stadium), and limits the clubs going up and down each year to one.

I'm intrigued enough to wonder if something like this could ever work.

It makes sense on so many levels that I'm hoping some of you with a little more time to break it down can help me find the chinks in the armor. Not because I want to tear down Adam's ideas, but because any proposed pro/rel system is bound to be put through the ringer by everyone in the soccer community.

My only concern is that it would take a much, much, larger TV contract to make it possible. The money to be shared needs to be of a greater magnitude in order for the owners to accept it.

Thoughts? Does Adam's system make sense? Oh, and be sure to add Soucie on Soccer to your footy rotation immediately; Adam's an excellent writer with a lot to say on the sport.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy