Adu Down to the Wire

Monday, August 31, 2009 | View Comments
CONCACAF Cup - Grenada v USA

Freddy Adu's immediate, and possibly distant, footballing future rests on the transfer deadline today. The young player is desperately looking for a loan move away from Benfica, who seem to have no plans to play the American.

Magnakai Haaskivi at Avoiding the Drop posted that this week could be the biggest of Adu's career; while I agree with that sentiment, I'm hesitant to buy into the thought that "there’s a very real possibility that his career is already over."

I find myself feeling for Freddy. He's not faultless in creating his own struggles, so I'm not shifting blame elsewhere; I'm just always loathe to judge a young player with so much pressure on his shoulders, when I myself have no real way to relate.

And so we wait, as the clock ticks down and the future of Freddy Adu rests in the balance. Freddy himself seems down about the prospects, if his Twitter updates are any indication:



I'll be back to update this post with whatever the outcome may be for Adu.

If Freddy isn't able to get his loan, and therefore playing time, we can pretty much write him off as a possibility for the World Cup roster next year.

*UPDATE* And just that quickly (maybe even before I posted this) comes reports that Adu is headed to Lisbon side Belenenses for a year long loan. Belenenses is in the Portuguese first division, avoided relegation last year on a technicality, and might give Freddy a chance to play regularly.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy