David Beckham and Langdon Donovan practicing with the Los Angeles Galaxy for the first time in 2009

You had to know it was coming. There's no getting around it. David Beckham is in the news, and so it goes that I must post on the subject. Blogging is all about timing (at least in the sports world), and the timing dictates that I spend a little time and spit out a few more words on the English midfielder.

I can't tell you how excited I am for tonight. This is what it's all about; one player with massive star power bringing his full attractive abilities to bear on a little league that needs all the attention it can get. Beckham may have missed half of the MLS season, but his return couldn't be more perfectly timed. It's New York, after all, the media capital of the world, and the Galaxy's trip to the Meadowlands gives The Return the biggest possible stage. Even better if Beckham plays well and the Galaxy win.

I can picture it now. Beckham standing over a free kick from twenty-five yards out in the ninetieth minute, the outcome of the game resting on his magical right foot. He takes it, bending it artfully towards the upper corner. The ball eludes the fingertips of the Red Bull goalie ever so slightly, smacking into the back of the net in a glorious "whoosh". Thousands of spectators and a national TV audience gasp at the theater of it all, as Beckham raises his arms in elation. His teammates mob him, and all of the negative press he's received will be forgotten. "He's back," we'll think, "thank god."

I'm kidding. If I actually thought that way, I'd stop blogging immediately; it wouldn't be right of me to continue writing if I as obviously insane. Beckham's return is more about the nonsense than it is about his play, and I expect tonight will be nothing but an anti-climatic regular season MLS game.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching. I hope for a nice "welcome back" from the New York fans, and I'll be interested to see if and how Beckham plays. I can't imagine he'll start, just coming off of his vacation period, but I'm sure he'll make an appearance. With him here, for better or for worse, it's in Arena's best interest to work him in as quickly as possible without completely wrecking the chemistry and momentum of the team; whether or not that means a half time entrance or a sixty-fifth (ish) minute appearance, I don't know, though my money might be on the latter.

Much is being made about Beckham's state of mind and attitude as he makes his 2009 American debut. He says he's committed to the Galaxy, yet he's desparate to find another club to winter with. He wants to help the growth soccer in America, but he can't be bothered to be here unless he's contractually obligated. He's ready to contribute to the Galaxy playoff push, but he's clearly angry with the team's most important player, Landon Donovan (don't believe that nonsense about them making up).

The prevailing attitude, and the one I would love to take, is that if Beckham doesn't really want to be here, we don't really want him here. A natural reaction, I think; why would anyone "rejected" (and that's the sense many have, whether it's the actuality or not) willingly open their arm?

I certainly hold some ill will for Beckham. His double-speak is maddening to say the least, and his sudden "resurgence" with Milan only magnified his disgusting lack of effort during the 2008 MLS season. I'd be lying if a part of me didn't want him to just disappear into thin air, never to bother all of us committed American soccer fans with his celebrity nonsense again. But I'm actually happy to see him return, just not in the way I pretended to be at the top of this piece.

I want to see MLS fans eat him alive. I want to see the signs and the banners. I want to hear the boos and the creative chants. I want to see Americans do what they do best; voice their collective disgust in a crowd setting at a sporting event. We've just about made it an art form.

So I am excited. Just not for Becks himself, but for the atmosphere that will surround him.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy