No ESPN For USA-Mexico

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 | View Comments

If you're like me, you immediately began to plan an "illness" when it was announced that the USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier set for August 12th would go off at 3pm CT (4pm ET). I've got my excuse ready, and I'm set to be home in plenty of time to get comfortable for the afternoon kickoff.

The only question that remained was, what channel would I be watching it on?

The answer came today courtesy of Steven Goff, who reports that Telemundo is holding on to their the English-language rights for the game and will be showing the match on mun2, a sister channel that typically aimed at a younger Latino demographic (and which regularly broadcasts in English).

This is both good and bad news, all at once. The good news: If you have mun2, you'll be treated to a Delacamera & Harkes-free match, a rarity when the US plays a meaningful match. The bad news: If you don't get mun2 (and I'll still trying to figure out if I do), you'll be forced to watch the game on the main Spanish-language outlet of Telemundo. There are worse things to be forced to do of course, and I'm one that generally doesn't need commentary to keep my aware of the game. On occasion though, there are moments in a match that need the clarification of the broadcasters; often this is due to cameras missing crucial action or switching away before it was clear what exactly occurred.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'll be watching wherever I can, and while not having English commentators may make it slightly more difficult to follow the action, I'll just be glad to see it.

One does have to wonder if this will mitigate the impact of the match, because although it's set to take place during working hours, I have the sense that new found USMNT fans and those intrigued by last month's Confed Cup run were looking forward to watching the game. Will the non-die hard English-only speakers be turned off if they can't find the game in their language on their televisions?

What about you guys? Any concern over the English outlet for the match? Happy not to have to listen to Harkes and Delacamera if you do in fact have mun2?
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy