Soccer Saturday

Saturday, July 11, 2009 | View Comments
CONCACAF Cup - Grenada v USA

In the dead of summer, without any Euro league matches to fill the morning and midday hours, today is just about the best soccer day we can get. MLS and USMNT action together (although confusingly scheduled against each other), with the former getting started at 4pm ET, and the latter going off at 7pm ET. Starting with the 4 o'clock games (Seattle v. Houston and New England v. Kansas City), I'll be in it for the long haul, all the way through the 1am ET finish of the SuperClasico at the Home Depot Center. I might even put in nine hours of Epic Footy Live Blog (even if I don't do it all, there will definitely be a USMNT version here for USA v. Haiti).

A little overview of each match I'll be watching/tracking:

Seattle v. Houston (4pm ET, Direct Kick)

It's always fun to watch matches in Seattle, in front of the biggest crowds in MLS. Houston appears to have taken back their title of "best MLS team", and beating them, even at home, will be a tall order for Seattle. The game will be missing a few key players due to the Gold Cup, of course (Brian Ching, Stuart Holden, and Brad Evans first and foremost), but should still be entertaining and highly competitive.

New England v. Kansas City (4pm ET, Direct Kick)

This is my second choice 4pm match, so I'll probably be tracking it rather than watching it via MLSNet.com. Neither of these teams has any particular draw for me, and the atmosphere (or lack thereof) doesn't help. This might be the only match on American soil that I won't see a minute of today.

USA v. Haiti (7pm ET, FSC/Telefutura)

The Americans are already qualified for the quarterfinals, so this game has little actual significance. Hopefully that means an ultra-experimental lineup from Bob Bradley, who may have missed a chance to maximize the evaluation potential of the tournament to this point. No matter the youth/inexperience of the lineup, I'll be rooting as hard as I ever do, and will willingly ride the emotional roller coaster that comes with supporting the Yanks.

Chicago v. Columbus (8pm ET, ESPN2)

Why is this game set to start on national television in the middle of the USMNT game? Your guess is as good as mine, and maybe we should all give Don Garber a call and demand an explanation. Nevertheless, this match is a marquee match up of two of the Eastern Conference's best teams, and should be an entertaining watch. Not sure if I'll catch much of the first half, but I am interested in this game, and will be the only HD soccer I'll get to see all day.

Colorado v. FC Dallas (9:30pm ET, Direct Kick)

Okay, so maybe I won't see much of this game either, though it is the only thing going on (aside from Honduras-Grenada which I may or may not check in on) from 10-10:30. That half hour window may merit a check-in, and I suppose there's a chance this game could turn into something worth seeing. Both teams can score, though each is missing a major weapon thanks to the Gold Cup. I tend to root against FC Dallas simply on principle, and I have family from Colorado; if I don't decide to use that half hour to recharge, I guess it couldn't hurt to take a peek.

San Jose v. Toronto FC (10:30pm ET, Direct Kick)

Another game without much appeal for me, so it may just serve as a time-filler (if I don't stick with Colorado-FCD) until the SuperClasico starts. Nothing left to say, other than I hope there are some goals while I'm watching. Maybe Barrett can actually put one in for a chance.

Chivas USA v. LA Galaxy (11pm ET, FSC)

I'm not particular fan of either team, but I do enjoy their meetings. Preki and Arena are perfectly suited to face off against one another, and the teams genuinely play hard when the SuperClasico comes around (I know some people have a problem with the label of the game, since it is a bit contrived, but it simply doesn't bother me). Donovan should play in this game, and with the Galaxy managing to get results while he was gone, it will be interesting to see if his return makes a positive difference or fouls up their rhythm. On the other side, Chivas will want to assert their dominance as LA's best team. Rivalry games are fun, whether you have a rooting interest or not.

When the final whistle for the SuperClasico blows, I know I'll be utterly wiped out, a good ten or twelve beers deep, and ready to crawl into bed. Forget the outdoors; I can't think of a better way to spend a summer day in the middle of July than watching nine straight hours of American soccer.

Which games will you be watching? Is there anyone as crazy as me that will be trying to take it all in?
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy