MFUSA Interview: Justin Mapp

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 | View Comments
USA v Guatemala

by John Carlton

Though still only 25 years old, Chicago Fire midfielder Justin Mapp is already considered an MLS veteran. After joining DC United in 2002 at the age of 17, the fifth youngest player ever to sign with the league, Mapp was traded to Chicago before the 2003 season. Since then, Mapp, a native of Mississippi, has become an integral part of the Fire, ranking fourth all-time in assists (35) for the Chicago side.


This past weekend Chicago played an exhibition against FC Dallas in Ridgeland, Mississippi, not far from where Mapp grew up. This is the fifth consecutive year the Fire have made the long journey south to play in the Magnolia State. On Monday, I spoke with Mapp on a number of topics including youth soccer in Mississippi, his career with the U.S. Men’s National Team, his growth as a professional soccer player and his prospects for playing overseas one day.


MFUSA: Chicago Fire just returned from playing an exhibition match in Mississippi this weekend, and Mississippi is your home state. This is the fifth year the Fire have gone to Mississippi. What kind of reception do you personally get when you go back for these games?


Mapp: Personally, it’s a good reception. They take care of us. It’s always an exciting time. There’s no pro soccer here, so anytime the people here get to see a true professional game, at this level, I think they really enjoy it. For me personally, I get to see friends and family and everyone makes the team feel very welcome. We really enjoy the trip.


MFUSA: There’s a photo I saw of you signing autographs for the kids after the game. I wanted to ask you about youth soccer in Mississippi. First, could you talk a little bit about your own experience growing up and playing soccer in Mississippi?


Mapp: Yeah, I have a lot of fond memories growing up here. I played for youth football clubs growing up in the Jackson metropolitan area. There were a lot of tournaments and all of our parents made great sacrifices. It’s good to see a lot of kids coming out to the youth games. Even in a small state like Mississippi, you can tell soccer is growing. It shows the level of interest has grown even since when I was playing as a youth.


MFUSA: How did you get onto the youth national team radar? Compared to some other states, where soccer is more popular, Mississippi seems like a relative backwater.


Mapp: (laughs) Yeah, being a smaller state, and particularly since not a whole lot of players come from Mississippi, and given that the population of the state is small - but, I played US Youth Soccer in Region 3, Southeast Region, and from the regional team was selected by the Youth National Team and it grew from there. So, that was my route.


MFUSA: I saw in a recent article about you in the Jackson Clarion-Ledger that you might consider returning to Mississippi after your playing career and perhaps coaching. It’s a long way in the future, but what level do you think you would like to coach at if you had your choice?


Mapp: I’d be open to anything. I like working with younger kids, no specific age group, but college is also a possibility. I like working with younger kids here. The Chicago Fire has partnered with Mississippi Fire Juniors, so I don’t know what capacity it would be, but probably younger kids. That could be the best fit for me. But, like you said, it’s still a way off in the future.


MFUSA: You went to Northwest Rankin High School in Brandon, Mississippi. You’re such a good athlete, did any of the coaches from the other sports ever approach you and try to put you at wide receiver in football or in the outfield in baseball?


Mapp: Not really. I played one year of football in the seventh grade and baseball up until high school. It was all soccer from the eighth grade on. I always loved playing other sports, too, but I always loved soccer specifically. At a certain point, it was all soccer for me, so I really never got any problems from the other coaches.


MFUSA: At 25 years old, you’re very much a veteran in MLS. How do you think you’ve grown the most as a professional since coming into the league as a teenager?


Mapp: The league has changed a lot from my first couple of years. I have a whole different perspective how it is, eight years in. It goes by quick. I’ve been doing it for so long. I see it as a privilege and it could all be taken away at any moment. I really just try to enjoy it and soak in all the experiences. At the same time, it is a job, and you have to take care of yourself on and off the field, in terms of what you eat, rest, etc. I’ve learned along the way how to be a better pro. Hopefully, that will continue, and if I’m healthy that will continue for a number of years more.


MFUSA: You’ve played at almost every level of the United States National Team setup. Is there one moment that stands out for you as most memorable? I’m thinking myself of the mazy run you made against Denmark back in 2007.


Mapp: They’re all very special memories. I’d probably have to say the Copa America (2007), when I got to step on the field in the first game against Argentina. We were playing against players I had seen growing up. Playing against the top players in the world like Lionel Messi. Playing against Argentina really stands out, they’re one of the top teams in the world, and they had their best players out there for that game. But, like I said, they’re all special memories when you play for your country.


MFUSA: Did you swap jerseys after that Argentina match?


Mapp: I believe some of the guys did. I would have liked to, but it didn’t work out. I think some of the guys ended up doing it.


MFUSA: They may have all mobbed Messi for his jersey.


Mapp: (laughs) Yeah, it was probably a lost cause to have gone for him.


MFUSA: I can tell that you love playing in Chicago, and the fans really like you. But you’re still very young. If the right opportunity presented itself, would you consider playing in Europe?


Mapp: Yeah, it would have to be the right setup. You never know what’s going to happen, but I don’t ever close the door on any opportunity. If the right opportunity presented itself and it made sense for me, I would definitely be open to it. I’m happy in Chicago right now, for sure. I just want to stay healthy and enjoy my soccer. Wherever things take me, they take me. But I’d never want to rule anything out.


MFUSA: What personal goals have you set for yourself this season? Aside from staying healthy, do you set any special goals going into each season?


Mapp: Sure. I don’t really put a number on goals or assists. I want to try to help the team. I’m an attacking player, so I’m here to create goals, score goals and be dangerous. I want to be productive in any way I can. I want to be playing all the time. So, I don’t put a number on anything, but I want to be dangerous and help the team. That’s my main goal.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy