Taking the Pulse of the Fans

Thursday, March 18, 2010 | View Comments
MLS Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy v Real Salt Lake

Despite the fact that Twitter has experienced an explosion over the past year and seems completely ingrained in the Internet culture at this point, I realize that not everyone partakes in the social media movement.


That said, Twitter is a major part of my day-to-day interaction with fans, other bloggers, and players. Because I've managed (somehow) to attract a decent following, I thought I'd use Twitter to take the temperature of MLS fans only a few days before a possible labor stoppage.


The response was interesting on a couple of different levels, and none of them scientific or illuminating on a mass scale. But it's the fan that is being left holding their you-know-what in this whole thing, so I wanted to get direct window into the thoughts of a few.


Here was my first question, paraphrased a bit to give it clarity:

How frustrated are you on a scale from 1 (not at all) to 10 (ready to give up on MLS)?

@hardcoco

"A five right now. If Monday becomes strike day, it will be even higher."


@MrTuktoyaktuk:

"I'm not quite at the rage level yet, I'd say a '3'."


@JFreedman13:

"I'll put it at a 5 because i'll never give up on the league, but this whole strike thing is tearing me apart. This could kill soccer."


@coachjginn:

"10. 2 new clubs not being showcased is huge. But most of all, Im an RSL fan. This is their most stignificant year, defending the CUP."


@shwaxinator:

"8 - I sympathize with the plyrs, but theyre snubbing their nose at all who've sacrificed money and career to lay leagues groundwork."


@stoehrst:

"I'm probably at a 7 level of bitterness. 5 to the players, 9 to the owners."


That last response is interesting because "stoehrst" rates his frustration level differently for each side involved; he clearly sees the owners as more at fault than the players. I received several other responses along these lines, with the higher frustration level invariably aimed at management over labor.


The clock is ticking, and though I think there is plenty of time for a deal to get done before any of the season is threatened (and still believe there will be a deal without a strike), certain fans have more reason to be nervous than others. Phialdelphia Union fans, and specifically those involved in the Son of Ben group, might be the most anxious. Not only is the debut of their club in jeopardy, a large group of supporters plan to attend the game in Seattle next week.


@Thomas19064:

"frustrated on a scale of 9...... probably extra because I'm a philly fan getting into panic mode though......."


And because I was curious as to how many fans might support the players to the hilt regardless of the possible fallout (delay, lost season, etc.), I asked one more question:

How many of you would rather see a strike than have the players take a deal that doesn't include free agency?

What exactly constitutes "free agency", and what form it needs to take to sate the players isn't exactly clear, so keep that in mind as you read the responses.


@stoehrst:

"not me. Take what you can get this time around. Guaranteed contracts would be a huge step in the right direction"


@Longshoe:

"No strike, it could be a death blow to the league. Get the best deal possible and let's go."


@abemedoff:

"I sympathize with the players but I'd rather a compromise than a strike leaving me with worthless tickets"


@CBielstein:

"I would not. MLS has weird player ownership rules, but no soccer, no money, no league. If USSF2 is the top, we're screwed"


@midnightrevs:

"I think it's important that the players carry through with their threats. That being said I think they should strike."


I expected a few more "They should strike!" responses, but most of the respondents simply want there to be games next week. Apparently few of my followers on Twitter track with my podcast co-host or the opinion of Dennis Justice.


@hardcoco:

"I don't care what happens between both parties. I just want to watch some #MLS next week."


That's the bottom line for most people. Those of use the live and breath every detail and development in the process get wrapped up in the philosophical arguments and "right and wrong" of it all. Most people don't, or refuse to care more about how the league is run than the games themselves.


Oh, and if for some reason you'd like to follow me on Twitter, I'm @MFUSA.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy