I'm strongly tempted to declare myself done with MLS today. The news is bad, the gathering storm is apparently ready to let loose, and that thing I was so sure wouldn't happen probably will. So much for my powers of prognostication (though on the small chance they don't actually strike, I'll definitely be claiming victory). It's a dark, dark day for any fan of American soccer, and will only be darker still next week.


But I can't actually pull the trigger on giving up because I know I'll just be back when things are sorted out (and the will get sorted out, right?). It would make me a hypocrite to say I'm done with it now if I just pick it back up again when the league is running at full strength at some point in the future.


It's doubtful that MLS would delay the season longer than it would take to fill out club rosters with scabs (not to mention the line crossers). It wouldn't be the same, and I can't honestly say I'd be interested beyond curiosity, but it would still be MLS. Insert a joke here about how the quality of play can't get any worse anyway.


So I'm contemplating my feelings today as I'm sure many fans are, and even though the strike isn't yet official, it's hard not to be depressed. So many good things flushed away, and so many passionate fans treated like a security guard's leg under the wheels of John Terry's Range Rover.


On the off chance the players are able to squeeze out of the owners what they want, I suppose the strike would be termed a success. Even if they don't, I'm sure they'll see it as a worthwhile exercise in "not backing down" and "standing up for our rights". To me, those are just words, and will do nothing to mitigate the damage we'll see in plain sight as the league attempts to recover. If DC United, LA, and Seattle are drawing half their usual crowds come May, who will take the brunt of the blame? The owners, for refusing to hand the players what some people see as basic rights? Or the players for walking out when the league needed to move forward unencumbered the most?


I don't think it matters, though I'm sure that many words will be written in an effort to figure it all out. Those words will matter less when people who were once interested in the league are no longer reading pieces on it. Disillusionment will be a bitch.


Apologies for the maudlin rant today, but I'm simply frustrated.


Let's see your thoughts on today's news; anyone reasonably positive still? Those of you for "Power to the players", are you giddy with excitement?


Oh, and I'm done writing on this in this space until there's A) a strike or B) and agreement. I'm not going to waste everybody's time with the breaking down of public statements or analysis of the latest nugget out of Washington.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy