June 23, 2010 - Pretoria, South Africa - epa02217702 Fans in the stands prior to the FIFA World Cup 2010 group C preliminary round match between USA and Algeria at the Loftus Versfeld stadium in Pretoria, South Africa, 23 June 2010.

Stuck at work trying to watch (surreptitiously) the most crucial match of your beloved national team's World Cup is a difficult experience. When they almost go down in the first few minutes, then conspire to miss chance after chance while you attempt to sneak a glance here and there, it's nearly enough to make you crazy.


When they score the winner at the death, with their, and your, World Cup a literal minute from being over, it's maddening. I couldn't scream, yell, jump up and down, or do any of the things I would normally do in this situation. I'm stuck with a muted guttural reaction, a beaming smile that makes me look like the office creep, and a need to walk off two hours of built-up nervous energy.


But damn is it sweet.


I have no other reaction than to say that I'm ecstatic they found a way. I'm happy Donovan scored the goal, I'm elated the postmortem can wait, and I'm looking forward to do a celebratory live edition of the American Soccer Show this evening.


Are they good enough to go enough further? I don't know, and frankly, right now I don't care. Ask me tomorrow.


Video. Because I could watch it 6000 times.

blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy