New Year, Same Brain

Friday, January 02, 2009 | View Comments
A bit of a callback to my last post:

I realize that the cost of a Super Bowl commercial may be a prohibitive factor; that doesn't mean that it's not a good idea. It takes bold steps to get results. Maybe the USSF can partner with ABC/ESPN or someone else (Nike?) to share the cost. I'm not going to pussyfoot around on this blog, rehashing the same thoughts that bounce around American soccer circles. I'm here to potentially make an ass of myself with wild ideas and silly pipe dreams. I'm an impatient bastard, so I want US Soccer to do something and do something big. In this country, it doesn't get any bigger than the Super Bowl.

There have been a bunch of "Year in Review" articles floating around in the last couple of days; when I said that I don't care about them, I simply meant that I want to look forward(I'm all for bold statements) rather than backward (don't worry, I'm not going to cry over Neven Subotic here).

Now a couple newer thoughts:

I've already declared 2009 the Year of Davis, so I'll also go ahead and declare 2009 the Year of the Breakthrough. A few breakthroughs I hope (or expect) to see this year:


1. Soccer gets a major bump on the worldwide leader

Things have certainly gotten better during the last 6-months or so, with ESPNSoccernet Press Pass showing up and rumors circulating that ESPN might make a major investment in the World's Game. There is still much room for improvement, of course, starting with the ho-hum MLS Primetime broadcast and lack of Sportscenter coverage (I could also bitch about the butchering of names during the latter).

2. An American flirts with international super-stardom


There's an obvious name that comes to mind here, and it starts with Dono- and ends with -van. But that doesn't mean that he's the only candidate. The Confederations Cup is a decent sized stage, and I expect USMNT "XXL" (as opposed to the Copa America "medium" version) to give a few players the opportunity to shine. I guess you could call this one a "hope" rather than a "expectation", but I'm not going to back down from saying it could very well happen.

3. Soccer gains more cultural relevance (American-style)

Essentially, this means the the "cool kids" will show up. Rappers, athletes from other sports, actors (other than Tom Cruise); there will be more than a few that make it known that soccer is on their radar. This has already happened with some people you may have heard of, and I expect it to continue. Red Bull Arena opening can only help.

Quick aside; any chance we can get Deuce to rap over the A Milli beat?

4. Match Fit USA gains tens of reader

Again, this is definitely more of a "hope" than an "expectation", but there you go. A man can dream.

Next up: that promised Euro Snob rant
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy