With my recent posts on American attitudes still on my mind, with a Internet-connected PC at my fingertips, and with a tiny bit of hope in my heart, I set out today to find some real world examples of the type attitudes soccer in the U.S. must overcome.

The recent news of MLS Primetime Thursday's "cancellation" (the quotes are a nod to the league office) had me thinking that perhaps I could find some fairly fresh examples of the type of things American sports fans say about soccer on a regular basis. Sure enough, The Big Lead delivered the goods.

I've chosen to highlight a select few who embody those characteristics which I've highlighted recently. This is just a small sample, and if you want to read them all for yourself (they're practically an ad for the American public school system), here's the link.

Contestant number one, step right up!

sponge-worthy Says:

January 20th, 2009 at 1:37 pm
I think enough Americans like soccer, however I also believe Americans don't like crappy soccer. If ESPN had Premiership rights people would watch.


A fine example of Eurosnobbery (if we assume that sponge-worthy is American, which I am). MLS is "crappy soccer" according to our friend here, and Americans like the sport (despite the ratings) but are discerning enough to know MLS is an inferior product that should be ignored. I'm guessing Mr. Worthy never played soccer on a level above high school, so I'm not sure what his qualifications for slighting an entire league might be.

Hef Says:
January 20th, 2009 at 1:45 pm
There was an MLS Primetime Thursday that I wasn’t informed about?


The first joke at the expense of the league, a sarcastic shot that implies Primetime Thursday was so irrelevant Hef here had never heard of it. I'm slapping my knee right now, how about you?

jim Says:
January 20th, 2009 at 1:55 pm
There was an MLS Primetime Thursday that I wasn’t informed about?


A followup to Hef's joke, Jim here ramps up the mockery by declaring irrelevant the entire league, rather than just the Thurdsay broadcast. So hilarious, I've blown out my spleen. How about you?

OUMike Says:
January 20th, 2009 at 2:17 pm
Soccer sucks. I would much prefer an NHL post, a NASCAR post, or a tiddlywinks post.


The intelligence of "Soccer sucks" is certainly telling. OUMike follows that up with another joke, this time placing MLS below two fringe sports and "tiddlywinks". Unfortunately, I've blown out my spleen, so no chuckles for Mike.

modiggs12 Says:
January 20th, 2009 at 2:19 pm
The masses have spoken. Soccer is only significant every four years in the US.

Makblunt Says:
January 20th, 2009 at 2:41 pm
That’s a lie Mo. Soccer is never significant in th US. Like linking sites that no one will ever click, soccer is a big waste of time.


I've placed these two together for context. Modiggs give soccer a little credit, obviously believing the World Cup to be worthwhile. Makblunt quickly corrects him, throwing a typical American viewpoint ("Soccer is a waste of time") in to boot.

Those were the best of the bunch, and although it's just a small sample, I think those comments provide an telling insight into the general American sports fan. It may be even more telling that comments for an MLS story were highjacked by a discussion on NHL television ratings (see thread if you care about that at all).
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy