Recession Effects

Friday, January 16, 2009 | View Comments
With the MLS SuperDraft taking place yesterday, the news that the Atlanta MLS bid is no more was a bit forgotten. While I never supported an MLS team in Atlanta, the bid's retraction is important because it is another indication that the economic realities facing the league are likely to be the most important issue of 2009.

If a financially strong bid, backed by one the country's foremost businessmen in Arthur Blank, falls by the wayside because of economic factors, then things have truly gotten bad. Montreal's bid was summarily rejected by the league when the group there attempted to low-ball the expansion fee due to the economy, and St. Louis' bid has come under extra financial scrutiny despite an in-place stadium plan. From now until such time as the financial crisis is over, every aspect of the game in America will need to be viewed through that prism. Our national entities are working without a net to a certain extent; without a strong grasp of the situation, those organizations may find themselves moving backward.

Perhaps the most unfortunate part of this dilemma is the potential 2009 has for giving American soccer big headlines. I've already listed the big stories possible for '09, both on and off the field; while all of them can still happen, their effect will certainly be muted by the economic situation. How much of a hit will MLS take to their attendance numbers? How many stadium projects will be put on hold indefinitely? How many of USMNT supporters will be able to go South Africa for the Confed Cup?

We've got to take the good with the bad these days, and as optimistic as I am about the game in the US and impatient as I am for the major soccer explosion, the economy has got me down. I've personally only taken a small hit, but it's certainly affecting the amount of entertainment dollars I will have at my disposal in 2009; a plight I share with millions of others. With a crowded sports landscape dominated by the big-money boys (NFL, MLB, NBA), soccer will need to claw for any progress it can make this year. Don Garber has repeatedly made it clear that MLS is keenly in touch with the financial situation. I have to keep his words in mind when the impatient fan in me gets frustrated; none of the shackles imposed on the teams or the league itself can come off until the powers-that-be are confident we are out of the woods.

More than ever, I think creative marketing will be key in the new economy. MLS isn't going to get by with the old standards, and will need to be discerning with its marketing dollar in 2009. Inexpensive alternatives coupled with a big splash or two may be the way to go; viral marketing and subversive concepts can create buzz if used properly. I have absolutely no idea how to do those things (yet, I'm certainly going to try to come up with something), I just believe they're possible.

If anyone has any good ideas, I'd love to hear them. We might not be able to get MLS to implement them, but it's still fun to bat ideas around.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy