The Puerto Rico Islanders, the last club from a U.S.-based league still alive in the CONCACAF Champions League, take their 2 goal aggregate lead to Mexico City tonight. Mexican power Cruz Azul will throw everything they have at the upstart USL-1 side.

Of course I'll be rooting for the Islanders, and I suspect most MLS fans will as well. Puerto Rico is not only playing for their own glory, but for the glory of their league and American soccer; while not actually American, they certainly feel like an American side, and represent the last hope fans of the game outside of Mexico have for a Champions League victory.

More after the jump.

It's certainly going to be a tall order for the Islanders to hold off the Cement Mixers. Cruz Azul will show no mercy, and I would expect Puerto Rico to place as many players behind the ball as they can for every Mexican attack. The Islanders only hope is to play as defensively as possible, hoping they hold on to their 2 goal lead. An away goal, perhaps catching the Mexicans on the break, would go a long way towards seeing the Islanders through.

Unfortunately, even scoring one or two goals may not be enough. If Montreal's epic flameout in the last round taught us anything, it's that Mexican sides can score, and score quickly. Add to that the issue of Mexico City's altitude, Cruz Azul's superior depth, and Puerto Rico still being in their pre-season, and things don't look too good for the USL-1 side.

My head tells me that Cruz Azul wins this game running away, 3-0 or more.

My heart says the Islanders can hold on, bunker in, creat a few chances, steal an away goal, and go through.

I'm pretty sure my head knows more than my heart this time around.

On a side note, I just realized that CCL has a two-legged final. Hmmm...

Perhaps it's just me, but I always feel like finals should be one-off affairs. If the CCL wants to emulate the UEFA Champions League, then a single match for the title would the way to go.

Here is the New York Times Goal blog writeup on the Islanders ahead of tonight's match:

Team from Puerto Rico is In Land of Soccer Giants
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy