I was tempted to leave Vancouver till later, examining them as one of the last two clubs. The move to MLS for the club in 2011 certainly colors their candidacy for my affections, and at first, it only seemed right to make them wait.

But I just finished watching them play via the wonder that is USL Live, so perhaps the timing is right to check out the Whitecaps and what they're all about. One Canadian club has already faired well in the competition, so maybe the other will as well. Examining the Vancouver Whitecaps, after the jump.

Geography

Once again, I'm regretting the inclusion of this category; it matter not entirely too often, and while it would be nice to support a club from somewhere I know, it's really not that important. I've heard good things about Vancouver though, and that should count for something right? It's in Canada, which is like, a whole other country, and it's on the West Coast (which I'm not), so those might be strikes against. Conflicted as usual, I split the difference, with a point added because I truly want to visit Vancouver one day.

Score: 6

History

Not too many North American clubs north of the Rio Grande can boast as rich a soccer history as Vancouver. The Whitecaps have existed in various forms for over thirty-five years (minus a brief hiatus and a short-lived name change), an eternity for an American or Canadian club. Success is also part of the Whitecaps resume, and the club has more than a few trophies in their showcase. To call Vancouver the "shining-light" of Canadian soccer doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, though perhaps I've descended into hyperbole. On to the score already.

Score: 9

Name/Colors

The Whitecaps name goes with the Whitecaps history, so I certainly can't complain about that. Blue and white are classic football colors, colors I would be proud to wear should I become a Vancouver supporter. The logo isn't the greatest (does the word "Whitecaps" really have to convey depth like that), but I'm happy to overlook it (for the most part) in light of the other good things. Another good score for the Whitecaps.

Score: 7

Supporter Passion

With a strong history usually comes strong support, and the Whitecaps are certainly evidence of that. The Southsiders are the team's main supporters group, and while they seem passionate, I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed. As an observer far removed from the club and it's local support, I have to use the means at my disposal to judge the atmosphere in the stadium; in this case, it's all about YouTube.

Here's the best Southsiders video I could find (admittedly only after a brief search):


I'm sure Swangard is a fine place to see a match, and perhaps I would be more impressed in person; I just can't find it in me to give a great score to the Whitecaps on this one. Their first truly poor category of this round.

Score: 5

Total Score: 27

A good solid score for Vancouver, one that will push them into a clutch of clubs at the top-half of the table.

The current standings:


Montreal Impact----------30
Austin Aztex-----------------29
Minnesota Thunder-----27
Puerto Rico Islanders---27
Vancouver Whitecaps---27
Carolina RailHawks-----22
Cleveland City Stars-----20
Charleston Battery-------18
Miami FC---------------------18


Hmm...three teams on 27 points. This might be harder than I thought.

The remaining clubs:

Portland Timbers
Rochester Rhinos

Almost done. Two more clubs, and then onto Round 2. Stay tuned for the next installment, vote for your favorite club in the poll, and comment on my decisions; as I've said before, I could easily be swayed to change my opinions if given enough reason, or if support for one club is overwhelming (as it appears to be for the Thunder at the moment).
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy