The USL-1 Project: The Final

Thursday, April 30, 2009 | View Comments

It's that time. After weeks of buildup, a lot of nonsense on my part, and passionate voices all around, I'm finally at the end of the journey.

Two teams left, and it's all down to this.

This last showdown will be a departure from the previous USL-1 Project entries, as I'm going to simply announce my new team, and then back it up with a brief summation of the process.

Announcement after the jump, of course.

Today, I'm proud to announce that I am the newest fan of the Puerto Rico Islanders. There was something about the Islanders, their story, and all of their fans that represented here just made the choice for me. This is nothing against, the Thunder, of course, as I have the utmost respect for their passionate fans. Some of them came here and made their case, and for that I am grateful.

I know that some will call me a front-runner or a fair-weather fan. I know that some will question my motives, wonder if the Islanders CONCACAF Champions League run played too large a role in my choice. Though I would be lying if I said that the CCL success didn't play some part in my interest in the club (hell, it was the reason for starting the project), I promise you that I came to this decision exactly the way I had hope I would; completely naturally.

I recently told someone that I wanted my new club to choose me rather than the other way around. As I'm not locally connected to any of the teams, I needed some kind of visceral reaction to organically happen for me to know I was making the right decision. It's even possible that I would have ended the project without choosing a club if I hadn't found myself truly pulling for one. In fact, it was almost as if I was subconsciously giving my heart to the Islanders without even realizing I was doing it.

I'm ecstatic with out the project turned out; I was true to my principals, refusing to artificially choose a club just so I could say I did (or to finally bring this project to an end).

So there you have it. A banner day for me. Now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on an Islanders jersey...

Before I go, let me give a final thank you to everyone that participated and helped in the course of this project; so many of you voted, emailed and commented that it's almost staggering. It just goes to show you how deep the passion in USL runs, and I hope, despite my newly minted allegiance, to highlight more of that passion from even more teams in the future.

GO ISLANDERS! (I'm obviously going to have to work on my Spanish)
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy