MFUSA: The USL Project

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 | View Comments

Today, I start on a new journey. As I've resolved to give significant attention to USL this year, I think it's necessary that I choose a team to follow. Over the next week or so (deadline still TBD), I'll be sharing with you both the process and my thoughts as I go through each USL-1 side, hoping that one stands out enough to become my USL side.

I'm going to need all of the help I can get, and I'm hoping that this will be both a great way for me to get drawn into the league, and a way to educate people who might not know much about USL.

I'll lay out my plan of attack after the jump.

In 2009, there will be eleven USL-1 clubs.

Austin Aztex
Carolina Railhawks
Charleston Battery
Cleveland City Stars
Miami FC
Minnesota Thunder
Montreal Impact
Portland Timbers
Puerto Rico Islanders
Rochester Rhinos
Vancouver Whitecaps


I realize that this process is taking place just a bit too late for me to start the season with a declared club; I think, though, that a week of games will give me even more information to aid me in my decision. Maybe I'll see a style of play or a player on a particular team that will grab me, and it will make my choice that much easier.

In fact, I would almost prefer that something like that happen, if only because I find the manufactured "selection" of a club fairly distasteful. That's not the kind of guy I am; my other sports passions come with deeply held connections, and I don't want have the stink of "fair weather fan" anywhere on my person.

Still, I don't want to wait for something organic to occur (mostly because that could take awhile), and it will be fun and informative to take an in-depth look at USL. If nothing else, it will probably only reinforce my belief that the longer it takes for MLS and USL to get together in some form, the longer soccer in the U.S. will be held down by completely unnecessary competition (and/or petty disagreements).

Without further ado, on to my methodology:

The process will likely be fluid, since I don't think being held to a rigid system is the right way to do it. But I have come up with a few categories on which to judge each club, just as a way to ensure I lean toward making the most appropriate choice.

Categories

1. Geography- I won't mind choosing a club that is not close by, so I'm not sure how weight this one will have. Still, it would be nice to choose a club that I have some kind of local connection to, even if it's not the closest club to my home at the current time.

2. History- It's hard for any club in the U.S. to have a significant history, though there are a few in USL who more than almost any others here (including MLS). I'm not sure a brand new club would bother me, so once again we have a category that might not mean much in the long run.

3. Name/Colors- Not the most valid reason for choosing a club, though I would be lying if I said it didn't matter. I care less about colors than I do about names, though if I'm given strong reasons for ignoring a particularly poor name might make this one worthless as well.

4. Supporter Passion- This might be the first category that actually means something; I'm a big fan of supporters who create unique atmospheres for their clubs, and strong evidence of that from any of the USL stadiums could be the tipping point for my decision.

Those are four quick categories off of the top of my head, though I reserve the right to add more at any point in the process. Each club will be scored from 1-10 in the four categories, and while the club with the highest score might not win my allegiance, it will certainly have a leg up.

As a bonus, and because I am unfamiliar with the fan cultures of these clubs and cannot actually visit any of the locales, I am soliciting for fans of each and every USL club to present their reasons as to why I should support their team. I don't want to be a man on an island in this process; I want to know what makes each team special, why the fans love their clubs, and how becoming a supporter might enrich my life. More than likely, these fan messages directed towards me will be the most important factor in my decision.

Over the next week, I will consider one or two clubs a day, with scores give for the rated categories, my gut feelings on each club, and any testimonials I receive from their fans.

By the end, I hope to be a proud and passionate supporter of a USL club, one I can follow for 2009 and into the future.

*****CALL TO ACTION*****


I must stress the importance of your help with this process; not only with feedback on my thoughts (perhaps even questioning my methods), but also with the supporter-testimonial aspect. I know there are quite a few USL supporters that come by here, and while I am positive I will get messages from fans of certain USL teams, I'm worried I may miss out on others. If you know someone that supports a club in USL, let them know about my project and ask them to shoot me an email.

All correspondence can be sent to:

jbdavis1@gmail.com
or
matchfitusa@gmail.com

Let the project begin!
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy