MLS Week 4 Thoughts

Monday, April 13, 2009 | View Comments

Easter weekend is not the most relaxing weekend, especially when it involves multiple visits spread across wide areas.

As I never got around to a weekend preview (partly because of the pushed up podcast schedule, partly because of weekend preperations), things are just all out of whack around here. I've got multiple irons in multiple fires, and they all require attention; Easter just gets in the way.

It's also not the best weekend for watching soccer; I was only able to see a fraction of the action (rhyme unintentional), which means that my impressions are incomplete.

Still, since I'm opinionated and have a blog, I'm going to share some thoughts anyway.

Less is More

Before my first family obligation pulled me away from Ginge's epic live blog, I tuned in to Toronto-Dalla via MLSnet. Let me just say, I love the feed without an announcer. It does make it a little tough to follow the action if you're computer multi-tasking (as I was), but it's so refreshing to be able to watch the game for what it is, without the overbearing nonsense that so many MLS broadcasters throw at you.

While I'd love for ESPN to experiment with this (I know it was tried with an NFL game years ago), I can't see most casual fans enjoying the effort it takes to truly pay attention.

It is just about as close as you can get to actually being there in person though.

Only one complaint, and this applies to all MLS broadcasts: mic the crowd better, PLEASE. It always seem like the atmosphere doesn't translate on TV as well as it should because ESPN or FSC is too worred about their "talent" getting their obnoxious points across.


Seattle Fans Get Crazy

Came across a blog post this morning that describes some unruly Sounders fan behavoir (link from Twitter); not a good thing, though I don't want to overreact. While I'm not forgiving things like beer-throwing and spitting, I don't think a few isolated incidents are an indication of any real problem. Only when these things become the rule more than the exception should we really worry that the fan culture in a particular town is taking a bad turn.

I'm also of the opinion that soccer gets a bad rap when it comes to this stuff; it certainly happens in other sports. Because soccer is connected to the gang violence and hooligan activities that occur in other countries, the non-soccer media is biased against the sport's fans. There's also the issue of organization; soccer is the only sport on the American scene with cohesive fan organization playing a part in support. It's a concept that is alien to a lot of American, and it causes a suspicious net to be cast over soccer fans; the fact that the majority of fans (in MLS and otherwise) are simply passionate fans expressing themselves is often overlooked. As the blog I linked to said, a few bad apples...


FC Dallas Fans Don't Know What To Do With Themselves

The Hoops got a point (sorry FCD marketing department that is obviously filled with short-sighted dummies, I'm calling them the Hoops until that uniform changes)! Okay, so it's not a win, and it doesn't necessarily turn the season around or give FCD fans a reason to get overly optimistic, but it is a point. And a point earned on the road in a hostile environment no less.

An aside: TFC doesn't seem to have the home-field advantage I (and many others) thought they would. Wonder what that's all about?

Head on over to Ginge Talks the Footy (two plugs in one post, you'd think he was paying me) to get the reaction of FC Dallas fans; it's amazing the range of reactions a struggling team engeders when they get a "positive" result.

While I highly doubt it, let's hope that the road tie helps attendance at Pizza Hut Park when the Hoops next play at home.


Attendance Thoughts

Bloggers, oberservers, and interested fans watch MLS attendance numbers like they're the stock market; often, our moods are affected by good or bad numbers. If you ignore the admitted fudging that MLS teams are guilty of, and take the numbers at face value, there was an uptick this week. Not sure if it really means anything, and it is still early in the season; so many factors come into play that getting too high or too low about attendance if fairly stupid.

It does bear watching, of course, but the context is important; the economy is going to hit MLS fairly hard, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the league is regressing.

I rail about marketing, stadiums, atmosphere and the like entirely too much, so I'll spare you any more.


Not-So-SuperClasico

That was ugly. I don't recall one moment of impressive play, though I haven't gone back to look at the "highlights" yet. Card after card ruined the flow of the match, and neither team was able to mount enough of an attack to truly threaten the other. A few long balls in to Donovan that he got turned around on is just about all I recall out of the Galaxy. Chivas didn't do much better.

It's unfortunate due to the "derby" nature of the match and the ESPN cameras that the two Los Angeles teams put on such a weak show.

I wish I had more probing analysis to give you. The game was just so bad that it sucked the life out of my review.


Back later, perhaps (have to see how the real job goes) with the next installment of the USL Project.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy