I'm finally getting around to the last team in the USL-1 Project. I apologize for slacking, but things have just been a little crazy, and other concerns pushed themselves ahead of my profile of the Timbers.

Obviously the Timbers are the other team in USL-1 that won't be there in two years, since the club is "moving up" to MLS in 2011. Lots of history, great fans, and one of the few legacy names in American soccer should serve the Portland club well in the competition for my loyalty.

Scores after the jump.

Geography

Portland is a long, long way from the DC Metro. It if weren't for the Whitecaps, it would be father to PGE Park than to any other USL-1 stadium for yours truly. That's a strike against, though in the days of modern travel, it's not the end of the world. I also have a cousin in Portland (at least I did last time I checked; we're not particularly close), so that's a plus for the Timbers. I've heard plenty of good things about Portland, so I'm going take it easy on them for this category.

Score: 7

History

The Portland Timbers name has just about as rich a history as any in American soccer. Through NASL, two smaller regional league, USL and soon MLS, the Timbers names has been a relative constant. Portland has a strong reputation as a soccer town (dubbed Soccer City U.S.A), a moniker earned through the support of multiple generations. Everything about Portland's soccer history is good by American standards, and so this score is predictably good one.

Score: 9

Name/Colors

I know I covered the name a bit already, but that was more about it's history than it's allure. It's hard to separate the two, of course, so I may be influenced by the historical resonance of the name as well as a more visceral gut feeling. The Timber colors are fine, and because they've been consistent through the years, I feel as though I have to give points for that as well. There's been no fluorescent colors, no wacky combinations, no efforts to "modernize" the look. The logo/badge is clean and classic. Another solid category for the Timbers. This is beginning to look like a rout.

Score: 9

Supporter Passion

Though Sounders and Whitecaps fans (god, I love rivalries) might argue, the Timbers Army has a strong reputation in American soccer circles. Passionate, loud, and organized (meaning they sing/chant/cheer together), Timbers fans give PGE Park a European feel that is hard to find in this country. Tradition applies here as well, with local legend Timber Jim adding a unique element to the atmosphere for many years. The Timbers Army has the of a group that would literally fight for their club, and that's something one has to respect. The rout continues.

Score: 9

Total Score: 34

The Timbers leapfrog the field and take over the points lead in stunning fashion; a strong indication that I could be following the Portland club very soon.

The final first round standings:


Portland Timbers--------34
Montreal Impact----------30
Austin Aztex-----------------29
Minnesota Thunder-----27
Puerto Rico Islanders---27
Vancouver Whitecaps---27
Rochester Rhinos--------26
Carolina RailHawks-----22
Cleveland City Stars-----20
Charleston Battery-------18
Miami FC---------------------18


With the first round down, let's move quickly into round two; I'm narrowing the field to the top four clubs, with the winner to be decided in head-to-head fashion. Two semi-finals and then the Grand Final.

First, a small matter to take care of, something which directly effects the competition:

After consulting with the judges (me), the Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps are hereby eliminated from the competition.

I'm sorry, but that had to be done. With those two clubs moving to MLS in two years (still have faith the Timbers will get the stadium deal done), I can't in good conscious become a fan of either one. It just wouldn't be right, since I do already have a club that I nominally support in MLS.

With the Timbers and Whitecaps eliminated, that leaves these four clubs standing (oddly enough, these are also the four highest vote-getters in the USL-1 Project poll):


Montreal Impact
Austin Aztex
Minnesota Thunder
Puerto Rico Islanders


Because the Thunder and Islanders were tied on points, I'm setting the next round up like this:

Montreal Impact v. Minnesota Thunder

Austin Aztex v. Puerto Rico Islanders


First round points are thrown out for the next round. The head-to-head matchups will be based more on my gut, and how I've been influences through the course of this project.

Stay tuned for the USL-1 Project's dramatic climax.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy