A couple of days ago, I put up a quick poll on who you guys believe is currently the best American player (non-goalie). Although the number of votes was fairly minimal, I think the exercise did its job; namely, it proved that there's a segment of USMNT fans that believe Clint Dempsey is the best player we've got.

I disagree, though I it's a lot closer than it used to be (and Michael Bradley is probably not too far behind either). Because some think Dempsey is better, and because I have the time and energy to do so, I've decided to do a little head-to-head comparison of the two players.

I'm using a point system format; meaning that in each area, the player can either get a win, draw, or loss, and earn points for a result. Three points for a win, one point for a draw, and obviously zippy for a loss. Here we go.

Remember that this is a subjective attempt to determine who's better, and that it is only one man's opinion.


Skill
Even Dempsey backers would have to admit that Donovan is the more skillful player (apparently not; see comments); while neither is Ronaldo or Messi, each can do some pretty impressive things with the ball. Still, Donovan has proven that, given the opportunity, he can impress with his skill. Dempsey has the stepovers, something that Donovan rarely employs (though I think it's there), and both can create space with the ball at their feet.

Result: Donovan Win (3 Points)


Speed (Pace for our English friends)
Not much of a contest here. Clint's not exactly slow, but Donovan's speed is world class; everyone remembers moments where Landon's speed changed a game. Speed's not everything of course, but it does play a role in a player's ability to stand out on the field.

Result: Donovan Win (3 Points)


Positioning
We're talking runs, off-the-ball movement, and the ability to be in the right place at the right time here; both are good at finding open space and making themselves available. Donovan's speed is an advantage in this area, though Dempsey might actually have a better natural sense. I'm calling this one a draw, because the differences are slight enough to make it matter of perspective/recency.

Result: Draw (1 point each)


Playmaking
Getting into space and making the right run is great, but an attacking player is more correctly defined by his ability to set up his teammates. Donovan has a slight headstart in this area because he usually plays more in a more central role than Dempsey, and I'm taking that into account. Still, I think this is another win for Donovan.

Result: Win Donovan (3 points)


Defense
Although both players are offense first as their positions dictate, each obviously has defensive responsibilities. Tracking back is something neither player is hesitant to do when it's called for, so this seems to be another tightly contested area. My sense though, is that Dempsey works a little harder, and is usually more sucessful in his efforts.

Result: Win Dempsey (3 points)


Level of Competition
I might put less stock in where a player is playing his club soccer than most, and so I'm consciously going against my instinct on this one. It might be a bit unfair to Landon, especially in light of his recent efforts to get back to Europe, though his failed stints in Germany as a younger player have to be taken into account. Donovan obviously scores a lot more goals in a lesser competition (and internationally), but Clint is playing in what is generally considered the best league in the world. In deference to those who think it matters, this one's clearly a win for Dempsey.

Result: Win Dempsey (3 points)


Final Standings:
Donovan 10 points
Dempsey 7 points

In the end, Dempsey comes up a win short of tying for the title. I'm tapped out on areas to compare the two, which obviously doesn't mean there aren't more. If anyone has a suggestion (although I'm sure it will be colored by your bias for a particular player), please speak up and I'll add it in.

As I said, I tried to be a objective as possible, and not let my overall sense of each player color the results. Breaking it down into individual areas of comparison seemed the easiest way to accomplish that, though it's obviously not perfect.



So step up, add a point of comparison, make your case, or just disagree with my results.

    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy