Outlook Darkening

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 | View Comments
Okay, so maybe it's my mood today, but it seems my rose-colored glasses are beginning to fail me. Objectivity is tough when you invest yourself completely in something, which is what I've apparently done with soccer by writing this blog; so for the past few months, I've managed to convince myself that everything will be alright, and that MLS will thrive in 2009.

While I'm not going to back off that belief completely (Hey Ma! Watch me hedge!), I do think I need to revaluate things a little. Let me give you a brief glimpse into the processes of my brain today:

Saw Bill Simmons post on the NBA entititled "No Benjamins Association" (didn't read it, not that interested)--->
Thought about the economy's effect on pro sports in the near future--->
Wondered if MLS will fare better or worse than other leagues--->
Reconsidered my belief that MLS attendance will increase over last year

It's certainly possible that things will get better, and that the net gains made in 2009 (at least in terms of visibility and Q-rating*) will outweigh any setbacks caused by the economy; but the league will cetainly take a perception hit if attendance drops. The soccer-haters won't care that the economy is bad, or they'll ignore the fact in order to badmouth soccer again.

I'm inclined to believe that baseball will get a pass from the media (because of the economy) if their crowds shrink, but that probably isn't true in light of the most recent steroids scandal. Still, baseball acts as though it's bulletproof for the most part, and it will be interesting to see if the two factors do combine to bring attendance down.

I'm rather steadfast in my belief that MLS is prefectly positioned to take advantage of the weakened economy, although that convcition is tempered by the disheartening lack of mainstream buzz for the league. If wishes and buts were....something.

Seattle's ticket selling success only means something if it translates on a grander scale; if the mainstream media points to the Northwest and says, "Hey! Look up there! A bunch of people are excited for soccer! Maybe we should go investigate!"

Then, maybe the rest of the league, and the teams that need the help, will get a bump. I said it in my last post, and I'll say it again: people are followers, so they'll start to show up at MLS stadiums if it becomes the "in" thing to do.

Hell, forget the mainstream media, I'd take Tyler Durden and Perez Hilton writing about it at this point.

I believe that blogging is our future, let them grow and watch them lead the way...

Or something. I'm in a really weird mood today.

Lemme sum up:

I think attendance can go up this year, I'm just not convinced it definitely will anymore. But I'm hopeful. And excited for the season.

Blech. Tuesday.

*Damnit, I put the asterisk in there to follow up with a footnote, and then completely spaced on it. Let me just say that I'm not really sure what "Q-rating" means, other than that's it's some subjective measure of the popularity of a given person/product/thing. I think.
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy