Super Sunday

Sunday, March 22, 2009 | View Comments

Working on the podcast at the moment, along with a view on the foreign club investment in U.S. soccer, so I don't really have anything for you right now.

Just some things off of the top of my head:

You know that post I did on celebrities and MLS? The one about how the league should be looking to soccer fans from all walks of the celebrity culture to promote it? Perhaps especially athletes?

Hopefully, there's at least one of those types joining the cause in a big way. Steve Nash is part of the Vancouver Whitecaps MLS ownership group, and I expect we'll be seeing a lot of him in the near future. As much as I love Drew Carey and what he is doing for Seattle and the league, Steve Nash has a bigger profile and more of a hip factor. It's a given that Nash will be involved in the marketing of his own team, I just hope the league takes advantage and uses him to push all of MLS.

I think the Galaxy-United game today is going to be very interesting on several fronts, not the least of which will be the attendance and enthusiasm of the crowd in L.A. Let's hope there isn't a Beckham backlash that leads to people not showing up.

I'm also very interested in the ESPN2 ratings for Thursday night: I've done a bit of poking around, and I can't seem to find them. If anyone has a link, please share. I don't expect them to be very good, because MLS ratings never are, but perhaps the excitement in Seattle carried over and there will be at least a small bump. ESPN certainly didn't promote that game like they should have, which isn't going to help.

Oh, and Aston Villa (I know, not American soccer related, but thought I would comment anyway) has completely fallen apart. Bye bye Champions League.

Photo credit: Associated Press
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy