Tuesday is easily the roughest day of the week, on a fairly consistent basis, for yours truly. The bill paying job (as opposed to the much more rewarding but completely unpaid/bordering-on-detrimental-to-my-personal-relationships job) always get to me on Tuesday, with a mountain of work piling up in quick measure.

Don't worry, I'm going to spare you the details.

But because Tuesday is such crap, it means my mood takes an unfortunate turn for the worse; a bad attitude leads to writing of a decidedly negative nature, and this is what you get.

In the worst case scenario (to be outlined momentarily), does Bob Bradley keep his job?

The US National Team is faced with two tough qualifiers followed almost immediately by a trip to South Africa to play in the Confederations Cup. At least five matches, all against quality opponents, with only one taking place on home soil.

It's not a stretch to think that it might all go horribly wrong.

Let's suppose for a moment that the US comes to this end of this week without adding a point to their hexagonal total (meaning two losses). Losing in Costa Rica is somewhat excusable (although I hate that fact; there's no reason we should expect anything but a result, no matter the history at Saprissa), but a loss to Honduras at home would be a tough pill to swallow. The team, presumably constituted of the same players (with a few changes possible), would clearly not be headed to the Dark Continent with an abundance of confidence.

Which might spell disaster in South Africa.

Three games against two confirmed world class opponents and one on the verge doesn't exactly breed optimism. The Yanks could very well return home without earning a point in the tournament, ending June on a depressing low.

If the United States ends the month without a single result, both in the more important qualifying campaign as well in the world showcase of the Confed Cup, is Bob Bradley is danger of losing his job?

My guess? Probably not.

There is the "Klinsmann Factor", and I don't want to underestimate the man-crush that Mr. Gulati has on the Cali-German; but Bradley would seem to have built up enough brownie points that even a terrible June won't lead to his dismissal.

And to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I've been fairly consistent in my belief the Bradley is not the man that should be taking the US into the World Cup in 2010 (provided we qualify). He's won the games he should have for the most part, and there really aren't too may blemishes on his record. But April's draw in El Salvador, no matter the environment, gives me pause. It's easy to assume that a "better" manager would have gotten a victory, and some of the blame clearly goes to the players; but it was exactly the kind of result that sets off alarm bells.

I don't want US Soccer and Gulati to turn into the FMF, ready cut a manager loose at the slightest slip up; but I also don't want them to become complacent and accepting of mediocrity if performance isn't meeting expectations.

Here's my caveat for bringing all of this up:

I don't expect it to happen, and I have faith that things will go well in June. But I think it's worth considering because it's certainly in the realm of possibility.

So what do you think? Should Bradley keep his job if June goes horribly wrong?
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy