Altidore Transfer Rumors

Thursday, June 25, 2009 | View Comments
Jozy Altidore, Joan Capdevila

When I wrote up my piece on potential transfers for Americans who are on the Confederations Cup squad, I left out Jozy Altidore for several reasons. His name hadn't been mentioned in any specific rumors that I was aware of, and it didn't seem to me that a move away from Villareal (or another loan for that matter) was a hot topic of conversation. In fact, I suppose I just simply assumed that Villareal would hold on to Altidore, perhaps even giving him the chance he deserves to play with their first team. Jozy's had a fairly strong tournament, and with the rumored return of Giuseppe Rossi to Manchester United, it would make sense for the Spanish club to use Altidore.

Recent news has proven me short-sighted though, as Jozy's name has come up in two specific rumors.

First, and this is a few days old now, Jozy was proposed as a possible loan target for Roy Hodgson's Fulham. The exploits of Americans are well known at the West London club, and Altidore would find himself playing alongside USMNT teammate Clint Dempsey. I was tempted to post this rumor when I first came across the Daily Mail link, but I hesitated as it was both entirely too brief for comfort and had no real corraboration. It's hit the American blogosphere at this point, so no reason to hold back now.

Jozy at Fulham is a intriguing idea; provided he gets playing time (which is always the biggest question), he should do well in the physical English environment. It would also give us in the States a chance to see him play on a semi-regular basis.

Before we could even digest the idea of him playing in a Fulham kit next year came another rumor, this time linking Altidore to Greek power Olympiakos. Now I'm not sure if that deal would be loan or transfer, so I'm not sure how to really feel about it. I simply don't know enough about the quality of the Greek league (as with the Turkish league in reference to Onyewu) to make a judgement on whether or not it would be good for the young striker.

Unless one of these rumors become reality in the very near future, I expect we'll hear Alitdore's name linked to other clubs; it should be an interesting summer all around for American players from this groundbreaking Confed Cup team.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy