It's Friday, and little of note is likely to happen today, so forgive me if I've let my mind wander a bit. But everyone's favorite Euro snob, the man Ginge, suggested something intriguing on this week's Match Fit USA Soccer Show that deserves a bit more exploration. He suggested, in passing and without much explanation, that perhaps the United States' two most heralded attacking players might actually have trouble playing together. I'm speaking of course, of Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey.

Ginge's suggestion, which caught me by surprise a bit initially, now seems like a reasonable thought if we go by the form of both players when wearing National Team colors in recent times. Neither has exactly burned up the pitch, and Dempsey in particular has seemed to only show up during a match when making a mistake or dribbling himself into a turnover. Donovan's work rate is unmatched for the Nats, but what has he done of note besides put in the occasional penalty kick?

This is sticky idea, the thought that perhaps two of the Unites States' best attacking options don't work on the field together. The particulars of breaking it down are well beyond my tactical knowledge, and it would be irresponsible of me to dance around and generalize in order to back up the concept.

So I put it do you: Is there anything to the notion that Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey are the American Gerrard and Lampard, two players whose similar abilities and need for the ball make them somewhat incompatible when playing together?

Remember; it's Friday, there's little to talk about that we haven't already covered around here, and I admit that this is mindless space-filling nonsense. Consider it a pre-weekend pointless debate (I like that. Might have to make it a regular feature of MFUSA).
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy