USA-Costa Rica: Viewpoints

Thursday, June 04, 2009 | View Comments

It's taking a lot of effort for me to write this. It's not just the loss, though that stings, it's the lack of cognitive thought I'm able to work up.

I'm tired and disappointed, and it's bound to make this post a giant steaming pile of...well, it doesn't really matter. Just know that I'm not sure this will be my finest hour.

In fact, because I know that my brain function is too low to properly convey my thoughts about the actual match (though I'm sure they'll get sprinkled in anyway), I'm instead going to take a look at the various angles Nats fans are taking to the Suckfest at Saprissa®.

The Angry, Bitter, Wants-Bob-Fired-Yesterday Group

I might have been in this group for a little while last night. I wasn't necessarily calling for Bradley's head, though I do think he should shoulder much of the blame for a terrible team performance. Costa Rica played great, but it was clear from the beginning that the Americans weren't ready. It was crucial to withstand the initial onslaught, and that obviously didn't happen. I'm not angry with the loss; it was always going to be a tall order to win at Saprissa. But to play so poorly when they knew what was coming (or had a sense of it), it almost inexcusable. I'm not really with you that fit in this category anymore, but trust me, I understand.

The "Calm down, it's just one game" Group

This is the most reasonable, level-headed group. They're able to put the game in context, see it for what it was, and move on quickly. Every team is bound to have a stinker every now and then, and this group realizes that last night was just that. I'm a little jealous of these people, to be honest. I can't seem to completely write off a bad performance and not belief it will have an effect on future results, no matter how convincing the argument might be. Good for you if you fit this label. You're a better man than I.

The Holier-Than-Thou, "I told you so" Group

This is the worst of the bunch. These people will hold it over your head that they saw this coming, that the Americans aren't as good as some people think, and that you're a naive neophyte if you believed that a win was possible. Again, let me state that it's not the loss that bothers me; it's the complete lack of urgency, will, or resolve. The United States is still the most complete team in the CONCACAF region. Period. They obviously lack a mental edge on foreign soil, and it's hard to know why. But don't trumpet your superior knowledge because you took the easy way out and predicted another loss; lording over the "uninformed" is petty and juvenile. Being "right" is one thing, thinking you're better than everyone else is another.

I'm clearly not in group three. I'm probably somewhere between one and two, with my blood slowly cooling to a simmer from the rapid boil it was last night. I've never been sure that Bradley is the right man to lead the team, and last night certainly didn't change my mind.

Let's see how Saturday goes. Let's see how the Confederations Cup goes. I'm not optimistic about the latter, and I'm not sure what "fixes" are possible that might change the outlook. But I'm reserving judgment; it's why I slept before I wrote, because I knew that my initial reactions would be over-the-top and somewhat ridiculous.

I'll close with this, for all of those who think that American soccer fans should scale back their expectations: Why? Why should those most passionate about their team be shouted down when they question the coach, the players, or the organization after a terrible loss? Why is the status quo acceptable, and why should just simply shut up and accept more of the same?

It's the beauty of caring so much. The right to criticize, question, and lament is inherent in the passion. I might not agree with the approach or the sentiment, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to put a little pressure on the powers-that-be.
blog comments powered by Disqus
    KKTC Bahis Siteleri, Online Bahis

    Archive

    Legal


    Privacy Policy